How not to gain weight during Holiday season?
It is quite easy to get swept up by everyone's favourite time of the year – holiday season. Family gatherings, with plenty of traditional dishes and delicious snacks that are difficult to resist, can easily turn into a “New year’s resolution diet.”
Instead of putting a few kilos on, it would be extremely helpful to be aware of your food choices before the holiday season starts. That does not mean being strict and eating only boring food. You can still enjoy your holiday and all the food that comes along with it. Here are a few tips on how to maintain body weight during holidays:
- Control portion size. Fill up your plate only once. Try not to add “a little bit more” to the plate, as that is how we easily lose track of the meal quantity. Eat until you are satisfied, not stuffed.
- Do not skip meals. Have your breakfast and make sure to eat a lot of protein throughout the day. Often when we are starving by lunch or dinner time, we are more likely to eat more than we need.
- Start your meal with veggies and protein. Protein and veggies give a feeling of satiety, and you will eat less of the pastries and deserts afterwards.
- Do not have dessert right after your meal. After having lunch or dinner, give your stomach some time to digest your meal before you go for the next thing. Dessert should be a meal for itself.
- Stay active. This is the time of the year when everyone is more relaxed. So even if you take a break from your regular training, stay active. Move and walk, especially after every meal, and you will less likely store food as body fat.
Not only is it important to care for your body during the holidays, but also throughout the whole year.